Saturday, June 9, 2012

This is where I've been lately........

If you're wondering why I haven't posted in a few days, this should answer your question!

I've been busy.  I really wanted to salvage the walls, but the plaster thickness was not uniform on the walls where the cabinets would go.  My Dad convinced me that it would be best to rip out those walls and put in new drywall, as the plan was to rip out all the walls in the first place.

So yesterday I just resigned myself to the fact that the walls had to come out, and got out most of them.  The little oscillating multifunction tool I got at Harbor Freight worked really well at cutting out the old plaster and backing board along where I'll seam the new drywall with the old walls.  Only thing is the blade is dull already, so I have to get a new one to clean up a few seams.

The joint between the wall and ceiling is finished with that wire mesh "tape" and it's going to be a real pain to try to cut that out neatly.  I have to measure the walls to see what's going on, but if the top panel of plaster is going to end just above the top of the new cabinets, I might just leave the old plaster on the wall and put a seam there.  No one will see it.  If I'm lucky, then I won't have to deal with that mesh wire stuff at the ceiling.

Also had to deal with more electrical "wonders" to disconnect the final GFCI in the kitchen.  Maybe I'll start my gallery of electrical issues today.

This is where I will seam the wall behind the fridge.

This is the seam for the wall beneath the left corner of the back window.  This window goes all the way to the ceiling, so I will only have to finish the drywall joint in this area.
Better view of the back wall with the plaster removed.  I'm hoping that the bottom of the top panel is high enough that it will end just above the top of the new cabinets.  If so, then I can just drywall in what's below and not have to deal with all that wire stuff at the ceiling joint.

Wall where the sink was, with the plaster removed.
A badly cut 1x3 on the right of the old vent opening.  I don't know if this will be OK with the inspector.  Maybe this weekend we'll have some nice weather and I can get outside on the ladder to remove the old vent and patch the bricks on the outside of the house.

A damaged 2x4 in the partition wall.  I didn't do it!  This is another thing that I'm worried the building inspector will be concerned with.  The onlything I can do to fix this would be to place another 2x4 next to it.  And I'm only doing that if the insepctor makes me.  The vent for the kitchen sink runs up through this wall.  You can see where it did leak in the past.  I'm hoping for a good rain to make sure it's not leaking anymore, and I don't think it is.  Our friend just placed a rubber boot over the outlet for this vent on the roof in the fall.  Our home inspector saw no signs of leaks.  I'm not surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment